We caught the end of the Harford County Farm Fair


I prefer to post while an event is still going on, but I’m afraid my little ones and I didn’t make it to the Harford County Farm Fair until its last three hours. Luckily,we arrived just as the second to the last Suewee Racing Pigs event got under way. And, boy is it hard to get a good picture of racing pigs with that delay on my digital camera. Those little guys are fast. My son adores the Kidway, which is great for me because all the bean bag toss, moon bounce and dunk the stuffed doll games come at no added cost. He can play until his pockets are stuffed with plastic soldiers, frogs and snakes without costing me anything more than the entrance price. Luckily, I remembered I had a coupon for a free child’s admission from the Harford County Library’s Summer Reading program. Since my youngest was under 5 and got in for free, it cost just $7 for the three of us. Last year he played for hours in the Kidway. But last year it wasn’t as beastly hot as it was today. He grew weary rather quickly (and, I fear, he may be outgrowing some of these games). Then we headed into the dangerous-to-my-wallet area to the east of the grounds. It starts slowly (we paid $1 for him to take 20 shots with a paint ball gun at the Robin Hood Paint Ball booth) and pony rides were free. But then we hit the Sand-A-Fair booth, which he remembers fondly from last year. I paid $7 for him to fill a Coke bottle stretched to distorted proportions with layers of colored sand. I convinced my 3-year-old to opt for the $2 plastic sand filled necklace. Since it’s an election year, political supporters did their best to load us up with promotional gear that kids can’t resist — like helium filled balloons. I noticed several young people who had plastered their clothes with political stickers, so much so that you couldn’t tell what they were wearing underneath or what the stickers said. When we made it to the food vendors — now quite parched — I shoved bottled waters I had brought along in their hands and told them I wasn’t paying $6 for a souvenir cup slushy. I promised to get them sno-balls back near the exit. On our way there, I spied The Aegis (which I cite regularly in this blog) offering a $33 deal for subscriptions. I’d been waiting to renew until I found a deal on their regular $44.10 annual subscription price, so I signed up. Then, just as the kids began pleading to go home, a firefighter hollered out to us that we could win $10,000 by buying a $1 raffle ticket. I kept pushing my daughter’s stroller, so he called out again, “It’s for the firefighters.” So I said, “OK, you got me.” And I stopped to fill out a ticket stub. With temperatures in the 90s and the area under a National Weather Service Heat Advisory, the sno-ball stand had a line even with just a half hour left to go until the fair ended. Lucky for us, we were the last people in line to get a sno-ball. (a large was $1.75, a bargain compared to the souvenir cup version over in food vendor alley) After making the kids trek all the way from the food vendor area to the sno-ball stand, I would have been in big trouble if we didn’t get sno-balls. From there, we hustled to the bus that would take us back to the parking lot. My son missed the tractor-pulled trams that the fair used the past two years, but when we finally stumbled into the school bus with our sno-balls, balloon, sand art projects and stroller we found it blessedly air conditioned. My red-cheeked kids didn’t say a word as they ate spoonfulls of crushed ice all the way back to the car.