Cigarette butt in trash caused Forest Hill fire at The Ponds, according to Examiner story

    0
    53

    According to today’s Baltimore Examiner, the state Fire Marshal’s Office has determined a cigarette started the Mother’s Day fire that destroyed two buildings at The Pond condominiums in Forest Hill.

    “Officials say the fire started in a trash can on a third-floor porch, spread along an exterior wall to the attic and roof, then sparked a blaze on an adjacent building. Though there was a space between the two buildings, the heat from the fire was intense enough to start a blaze across the gap, Deputy Chief Fire Marshal Jason Mowbray said.”

    The story said the fire caused $1 million in damage. Two firefighters were injured and 24 families were displaced by the fire.

    “Though the smoker in question said he put the cigarette out, (Fire Marshal’s Office spokesman Joe) Zarulo said it appeared the butt set fire to the trash before spreading to the rest of the porch.”

    No charges have been filed.