Ever since Bel Air’s annual fireworks display moved from its traditional spot at Bel Air High School to Rockfield Park, finding a good place to watch has been a bit of a game of trial and error. BANV readers say the closer you can get to the Rockfield Park site, the better the view. However, police shut down the Rte. 22 near the site well before the 9:30 p.m. show time, so you need to go early to get a spot there. If you don’t go early enough to get close, there’s a decent view from the Greenbriar Shopping Center parking lot (the one that includes Safeway). However, readers complained of too many lights interfering with the view and a lot of traffic to deal with at the end. I like the fields behind Southampton Middle School. There is a path to access the field off of East Broadway, just north of Oak Ridge Court in the Moore’s Chance neighborhood. Most readers say they wish the fireworks would simply return to Bel Air High School — their usual spot until the construction of the new school began. Here’s a list of suggestions from BANV Facebook readers:
- That neighborhood off Rt 22 behind the firehouse and set up chairs in the grass on Rt 22.
- The top level of the Bel Air Parking Garage on Pennsylvania Ave.
- The field at Rockfield Manor is perfect.
- Safeway lot; good view, horrible time getting out.
- On the hill at the Maryland Golf and Country club
- In front of Freedom FCU on Churchville Road was a decent spot.
- You can also see them from the parking lot at St. Matthew Lutheran church (1200 Churchville Rd.) across from the Walgreens and Safeway. All are welcome. Bring your own blanket or chair.
Click here for a map of the fireworks location: http://www.belairjuly4.org/innerpages/mapfireworks2008.html