Got stuck in I-95 traffic yesterday? An accident and police car chase are the reasons why


If you got stuck in traffic on I-95 yesterday, the Harford County Sheriff’s Office and Maryland State Police Bel Air Barracks have released a report detailing one of the reasons why. Several law enforcement agencies were involved in a chase that started about 2:47 p.m. near Edgewood Road and ended on I-95 near Route 543 where police arrested a Virginia man in a stolen green Taurus who allegedly had held his family hostage and threatened to harm law enforcement officers. Earlier in the day, traffic on I-95 was stopped in both directions so a Medevac helicopter could transport and woman and child injured in a accident near the Havre de Grace exit where a minivan overturned. Click here to read an account of that accident on and see the news released below for details on the police chase:


(Harford County, MD: February 8, 2011)  A pursuit that began at approximately 2:47pm, on Route 40 westbound near Edgewood Road in Harford County, MD, ended at approximately 3:05pm on I-95 just north of SR543, when law enforcement officers from the Maryland State Police, Harford County Sheriff’s Office and the United States’ Marshals apprehended Brandon L Pegram, 23, of Stoney Creek VA.   Pegram was wanted on federal charges to include robbery, felony assault and kidnapping.  Pegram reportedly held his family hostage yesterday and had allegedly threatened to harm any law enforcement officers who attempted to apprehend him.

US Marshals issued a BOLO (be on the look out) in the Harford County area for a stolen light green Taurus bearing a Virginia license plate occupied by a black male who was considered to be armed and dangerous.    Harford County Sheriff’s Office patrol deputies spotted the vehicle at approximately 2:47pm on Route 40 in the Edgewood area.  When they attempted to initiate a stop, the vehicle fled down Route 40 towards Baltimore County, crossing back over to I-95 North bound.  Law enforcement agencies involved in the pursuit included the Harford County Sheriff’s Office, Baltimore County Police Department, both patrol and air units, the US Marshal’s Service, and state troopers from the Bel Air and JFK Memorial Highway barracks, the suspect was apprehended on I-95 just north of SR543.

When police officers approached Pegram, he resisted arrest and was taken into custody. He was transported to a local area hospital due to minor injuries sustained from a car accident associated with the pursuit.   There were no citizens or law enforcement officers injured during the pursuit.  No firearms were found in the stolen vehicle being driven by Pegram.  No one else was in the vehicle with him at the time of the arrest.

As of 12:00pm on February 8, 2011, Pegram was in State Police custody pending completion of his treatment at a local hospital.   Pegram will be transferred to the Harford County Detention Center. Maryland State Police will be charging Pegram with first and second-degree assault, vehicle theft, reckless endangerment, malicious destruction of property, and numerous traffic violations.